If you are involved in a car crash, there are a number of steps you must take to help preserve and protect your legal rights.
- Seek medical attention immediately. If you are injured, even if you initially think it is a “minor” injury, you should seek medical attention immediately. This may be from emergency personnel or EMTs on scene, or at the Emergency Room at a nearby hospital. It is critical that you document and treat any and all injuries as soon as possible, even if they initially appear to be minor.
- Get relevant information regarding other drivers, vehicles, and witnesses. It is necessary that you, or someone on your behalf, get all relevant information regarding the other driver(s) involved in the crash or from anyone who witnessed or has relevant information regarding the crash. This should include full name, address, telephone number(s), email address, driver’s license ID number, insurance card information, license plate number(s), make and model of other vehicle(s), etc.
- Take photographs. Taking clear, quality photographs may make or break your case. If possible, and if safety allows, you or someone on your behalf, should take photographs of the following:
- Position of vehicles at rest (before vehicles are moved)
- Damage to each vehicle caused by the crash
- Location of debris in the roadway
- License plate of each vehicle
- Driver of each vehicle
- Driver’s license of each driver
- Insurance card for each vehicle
- Vehicle registration for each vehicle
- Inspection and registration windshield stickers for each vehicle
- File No-Fault Claim for Benefits. Under New York’s No-Fault law, regardless of who caused the crash or who is determined to be “at fault,” your own insurance carrier is obligated to pay your medical expenses and any lost wages, up to certain limits. There are strict time limits for filing your No-Fault Application for benefits, so it is important you contact and consult with an attorney familiar with this process as soon as possible.
- Retain the services of an experienced and reputable legal team. There is no shortage of attorneys claiming to handle personal injury cases, including car crash cases. Before you hire any lawyer, be sure to check out the attorney’s professional ratings and client reviews. Injury cases are routinely handled on a “contingency” basis, meaning there is no fee unless there is a successful recovery on your behalf. The customary fee in Western New York is 1/3 (33 1/3%) of any recovery. Therefore, be sure to choose an experienced and reputable legal team, without concern as to the cost, as the legal fees are likely to be the same whether you are passed off to the young, inexperienced associate, or your case is handled by the experienced and reputable owner of the firm.
While this is not an exhaustive list, it is a start and will help preserve and protect your rights to the financial compensation you are legally entitled to.
When you hire The Rossi Law Firm, your case will be personally handled by Michael Anthony Rossi. Michael is nationally recognized and has consistently received the highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards. With over four decades of experience handling serious injury cases, our Buffalo injury legal team understands the emotional and financial challenges individuals face when injured by the carelessness of someone else. We will be there for you when you need the guidance and direction to get you through the difficult times. If you are seriously injured, call Michael Anthony Rossi at The Rossi Law Firm at 716-854-5555. “It may be the most important call you will ever make!” – Michael Anthony Rossi